- 4 Ilish or hilsa
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5-6 green chilies slit
- 1/2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tbsp mango pickle oil
- salt to taste
- 8 tender pumpkin leaves (Kumro Pata)
- Soak the pumpkin leaves in hot salted water for 10-15 odd minutes. Shake off excess water, keep aside.
- Soak the yellow mustard seeds and black mustard seeds in warm water for 15 odd minutes.
- Drain the water. Make a smooth paste with 3-4 green chillies, a pinch of turmeric powder and a couple of grains of rice, keep aside.
- Add the mustard paste, turmeric powder, mango pickle oil, mustard oil and the remaining green chilies to a bowl. Give it a hearty mix.
- Gently place the fish steaks in the bowl, sprinkle in the salt and give it another loving mix. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Arrange the pumpkin leaves as shown in the picture, place one hilsa steak on the leaves, top with a little marinade.
- Wrap from all four sides to make a parcel, secure with twine. Repeat for each of the remaining fish steaks.
- Steam the pumpkin wrapped hilsa in a steamer for 15 odd minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.